Friday, October 19, 2007

First Impressions

Well, I´ve been in Santiago for only two days and but it feels like I´ve been here many more already. I think that when the senses get a little overwhelmed, it gives you a whole new perspective on time. You tend to experience ever little moment rather than taking them for granted.

Santiago is a town filled with many, many people. It´s almost overwhelming walking down the streets at times. Many people!! Unfortunately, I´ve already made my first cultural mistake with one of them. Walking down the main street, I inadvertantly walked right across a display of posters that someone had laid out on the sidewalk to sell. Luckily I didn´t damage any of them! The girl´s response was to chatter at me in Spanish, I apologized profusely in English and I think she actually found the look of horror on my face to be comical. I heard her actually laughing at me as I walked away. Oops!

Another of our gals found out the hard way that some of our very simple non-verbal gestures don´t mean what we think they mean here. Instead of simply gesturing for our waiter to come to the table, he gently told her she was asking for much more than that! Poor gal! Makes my little blunder not seem so bad after all!

Headed to a Chilean Rodeo tomorrow. Looking forward to getting some fantastic photos of some beautiful costumes. Then we start our retreats on Sunday! Looking so forward to meeting all the ladies we´ve been praying for over the past few months.

Out of internet time for now... more later!

No comments: